Saturday, June 16, 2012

Old Steamers Ads


Researching the digital archives of Biblioteca Nacional - http://memoria.bn.br/hdb/uf.aspx - I found some ads from companies that were travelling between Europe and South America at Gazeta de Noticias newspaper. Those ads are a constant in the editions that I searched between the years of 1880 and 1899. These ones are of 9 March 1887 edition. You will find the cities where they stop besides the final destination and the departure date; on some you will also see the price of those tickets. The Norddeutscher Lloyd was one companies that traveled constantly to Brazil




Below we have a specific ad that stops at the Azores Island, one of my interests as my family from my mother’s side is from Terceira Island.  If they had enough passengers to bring to Brazil on their way back they made the stop there. They also mention special conditions for those who are coming as colonists. I believe it’s about their price; they may have a special rate for those who were coming to settle.


Hamburgo Sudamerikanische Dampfschiff-fahrts-Gesellschall
The steamers of these lines leaves to 
Bahia, Lisboa and Hamburgo
 on the 5, 13, 20 and 27 of each month.
Coming back from Hamburgo
Azores Island
if there are enough passengers
 Excellent accommodations for the first class passengers.
Special conditions for those who are colonist.

SOMETIMES THE LINK TO BIBLIOTECA NACIONAL DOES NOT WORK. THEIR SERVER IS NOT STABLE, PLEASE BE PATIENT AND TRY AGAIN LATER.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my My Portuguese Gen website. I wish you an exciting experience finding out more about your Portuguese ancestors in United States, Azores, Madeira, Portugal, Brazil through the resources I provide. They are so many and I try always to keep them updated.

If you want to share your thoughts about your experience here, or want to learn more about how to expand your Portuguese ancestry, you can leave me a message.

If you left a message and it does not show yet, be sure, it was received and soon will appear on the comments.

Again, thank you.

Isabella Baltar