Saturday, October 6, 2012

Researching in Azores and Portugal- Useful links

AZORES ISLANDS



THE DIGITAL COLLECTIONS


The CCA or Centro de Conhecimento dos Açores http://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt
is the digital repository for most of the civil and ecclesiastical records from the nine islands that are part of the Azores archipelago.


Azores Parish Records (Pesquisa de Registros Paroquiais)

For birth, marriage and death records from the Catholic Church, from 1541 until 1911, click here:

Passports (Pesquisa de Passaportes)

For passports from Terceira, Graciosa and São Jorge (since 1770) click on Angra do Heroismo;
For passports from Corvo, Pico, Faial and Flores (since 1836) click on Horta, and
For passports from São Miguel and Santa Maria click on Ponta Delgada.


THE PHYSICAL COLLECTIONS


“Each Azorean Island is organized into one or more administrative districts, each being divided into parishes, known by their administrative name or by their patron saint….The original documents lie in the Public Libraries and Regional Archives of the Azores, in Ponta Delgada (S. Miguel), Angra do Heroísmo (Terceira) and Horta (Faial).” 

Terceira, Graciosa and São Jorge

Angra do Heroismo administrative region

Biblioteca Pública e Arquivo Regional Luis da Silva Ribeiro

Rua do Morrão, 42 - 9700-054 Angra do Heroísmo
Telefone: (+351) 295 401 000Fax: (+351) 295 401 009
email: bparah.arquivo@azores.gov.pt

Information on how to request copy of records
Angra do Heroismo Digital Library
Genealogical Documents
Information for your genealogical research, including a list of those who immigrated to Brazil between the years of 1771-1774, as well as on the Flemish population.

Santa Maria and São Miguel

Ponta Delgada administrative region


Biblioteca Pública e Arquivo Regional de Ponta Delgada

São Miguel and Santa Maria Islands
Largo do Colégio s/n - 9500-054 Ponta Delgada
Phone: (+351) 296 305 040 Fax (+351) 296 281 216
email: bpar.pdelgada.info@azores.gov.pt

Information on how to request a copy of records:

Faial, Pico, Flores and Corvo

Horta administrative region


Biblioteca Pública Arquivo Regional João José da Graça - Horta

Faial, Pico, Flores and Corvo Islands
Rua Walter Bensaúde, 14 - 9900-142 Horta
Phone: (+351) 292 208190 Fax: (+351) 292 208199
email: bpar.horta.info@azores.gov.pt

Other digital resources for researching Azores and Portugal records: 

Family Search

LDS Church website with links for Portugal Historic Archives.

Tombo.pt

Portugal and Azores districts and parishes

FamilySearch Wiki

Information on how to research Portuguese genealogy

Historical Atlas and Parishes

Website where you can re-create the parishes and historical territorial division in Portugal and Azores. If you want to locate the parish or religious division in Portugal and Azores, give a try on this tool, it is very useful. Maximize parts of the map to have smaller divisions and more detail.

CITCEM – Centro de Investigação Disciplinar


PORTUGAL MAINLAND


Genealogia FB

Genealogy resources

Online archives from Torre do Tombo, Lisbon, Portugal


Emigration - Portugal to Brazil


Arquivo Municipal Alfredo Pimenta 

Guimarães - Distrito de Braga


Aquivo Histórico Ultramarino


Archives from the Ministério Ultramar




28 comments:

  1. Hi Isabella,
    Thanks for the helpful links! Thank you also for the info on your family,I checked my gr.grandfather's passenger list which says he was born in S Mathews, which I believe is São Mateus.

    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Charlene,
      Sao Mateus is in Pico Island, I will post more information on researching on the other islands soon and will let you know.
      Isabella

      Delete
    2. There is also São Mateus da Calheta in Terceira Island. You will need to know from which island he came from. I think on the passenger list you will be able to see it or in his passport. The Godfather of my 2nd great grandmother was one Francisco Machado from Cabo da Praia, in Terceira.

      Delete
  2. Thanks so much for these links!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jana,
      Hope they will be useful for you and everybody that comes here!

      Delete
    2. Just wanted to let you know that your post is listed on today's Fab Finds post at http://janasgenealogyandfamilyhistory.blogspot.com/2012/10/follow-fridayfab-finds-for-october-12.html

      Delete
    3. Thank you very much Jana! I will check it later. :-)

      Delete
  3. Isabella:
    You are obviously quite an accomplished researcher. Therefore I am surprised that in your June 13 posting to the AZORES-Genealogy Board you gave such a incomplete citation of "Santos et al. in Origin of Peopling in the Azores". Not very helpful for someone wishing to see the book/article.

    I would like to see this source, if you will be kind enough to provide the complete citation.
    Thanks,
    Denis
    d.meals@sbcglobal.net

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Denis,

      Thank you for visiting my blog.

      Regarding your comment on my "incomplete citation" on the Azores-Genealogy Board, I want to make some considerations, the obvious one is that the Board is an informal conversation between members and sometimes I just make a comment using my iPhone and that was the case; if I want further information on a message, I just send a private message or post on the same Board asking for it. I will reply on the Board for your question.

      I always provide complete source information on my blog and on any work I do. I'm pro Open Source, thus I have a blog.

      Delete
  4. Hi, I've traced my ancestors back to the island of Pico. I'm not sure how to proceed. Is it possible to research them further without traveling to Pico? Cheers, Dave

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dave,
      Thanks for visiting my blog. Yes, you can research on Pico Island visiting the last link on Research on Azores and Portugal, another window will open and you will see Pico Island with its 3 concelhos and links to other pages with their genealogy. Its not very clear where to click on the genealogy pages, but at the bottom you will see an arrow and "Clique aqui para aceder às Genealogia". From there you can choose the English language. Hope this will help, let me know.
      Isabella

      Delete
  5. Which one should I use to find a long lost uncle. During the war my grandfather fell in love with an azorean woman they produced a child. Who has my grandfathers name laurindo Ferreira. I know he had ten children but that is all I know would love to find them. I feel there is an uncle and cousins out there I need to meet. Can you help me who should I talk to. Sincerely Christine Francisco Please feel free to email me at chrissiefrancisco@gmail.com. My uncle should been born in the 1940's

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine, thanks for visiting my blog on Portuguese and Brazilian genealogy. I sent an email to you about one week ago but I dont know if you received it or not. Please let me know if you want me to send it again. Looking forward hearing from you. Happy new year!

      Delete
  6. Hi,

    I'm trying to find out more about the family of my great, great grandfather Antonio Pimental, the story is that he was a whaler out of New Bedford, Mass but originating in the Azores, I had no idea which island until I took the ancestry.com DNA test and connected with distant cousins whose information says Fazenda das lajes, Flores, Azores; however, when I tried to choose the area for the parish records I wanted to search for his baptism on the government genealogy site there was NO Fazenda, but there was a "Fajazinha" do my cousins have a spelling error or are these 2 different locations?

    Thanks! Maria

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Maria,
      There is no spelling error. Fazenda belongs to Lajes and you will find Lajes under Lajes das Flores on CCA. Good luck on your search.
      Isabella

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  7. Dear Isabella,

    My great-grandfather, Alexander Souza Borba, was born on São Jorge in 1883, and I don't have a date or know who his parents were. He immigrated to the San Francisco Bay Area, and lived both in Sausalito and in Oakland. Do you have any tips for how to research when he might have immigrated to the US, or anything else?

    Thank you!
    - Eric

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning Eric,
      You will find requests for passports in CCA website. As he was from São Jorge, I believe his passport was requested in Angra do Heroismo, the link for the digital passport requests is http://www.culturacores.azores.gov.pt/ig/passaportes/Default.aspx
      On the dropbox named Núcleos, you choose Angra do Heroismo. A new window will open with date frames for you to choose. If he was travelling alone, you will see his name there. Let me know if you were able to find him. Isabella

      Delete
  8. Dear Isabella,
    Thank you so much for you helpful website. Using the link you provided I easily found information on my grandfather who was born in Pico. While searching for my grandmother I noticed something and started looking at some families that are not related to me. Maybe I am looking at the names incorrectly or not understanding how the names are listed. Do the Portuguese in the Azores sometimes give their children a surname that is different than the surname of the father?
    Thank you.
    Keith

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keith,
      You are most welcome! I am glad the links I provided are being useful for your research. Regarding the name of your grandmother, usually women don't carry the family name, they carry a devotional name most of the time, although this is not a rule. There are times they will carry the family name if the family was wealthy or prominent in a certain way. You are probably not looking incorrectly. If you want to send the record I can quickly look at it and let you know. Thank you for visiting my blog! Isabella

      Delete
  9. Hi Isabella,

    I'm taking a huge step and traveling to Portugal as I've had no luck finding anything more specific than Portugal as the place of birth for my 2nd gg. Family members believe he was born in the Azores, but I can't find anything! His parents aren't listed on his death certificate.

    At any rate, where can I go in Portugal to do my research?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi "unknown", researching in Portugal or Azores without knowing at least the region or municipality of your ancestor is almost impossible. You will need a start point. If your ancestor came to USA you will probably find resources other than a death certificate, which usually do not have the parents name. Did you search the Census? Marriage certificate? Immigration records? Let me know if you need more information sending a private email to myportuguesegen at Gmail dot com
      Thank you for visiting my blog.

      Delete
  10. HI Can someone interpret what the passport headings say in the Centro de Conhecimento dos Acores?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I can do that for you. Please send a private message to
      Myportuguesegen @ Gmail dot com

      Delete
  11. Hi Isabella,
    How can i find my grand parents birth records? They were born in 1926 on Sao Miguel but I dont have exact dates. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniela,
      If they were born around 1926, their birth certificate will be on a "Conservatória de Registro Civil". The Conservatórias, they are many, are now in the digital age, but I do not know if they will be able to find their record without any information other than their names. Do you know at least the parish? I do know people in the Azores that may request this for you, I believe, I am not sure. Send me an email and we can go from there. myportuguesegen at gmail dot com

      Delete
  12. Hello Isabella,

    Thank you for the links. They have helped.
    I actually found the record for my grand mother's baptism. Next to it, I see a record of her mariage date to my grandfather.
    Now since they got married in 1928, which records should I look into to find the actual mariage?
    I speak Portuguese but I have a hard time reading those records.

    Thank you
    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Isabel, you do not mention the parish you find grandmother baptism, but usually the marriage is in the same parish of the baptism of the bride. There is a link for the marriages, on the same area you found the baptisms. If you have any difficulty in finding it, just send me an email to myportuguesegen at gmail dot com

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my My Portuguese Gen Blog, hope you have enjoyed reading my family stories and the information I provided.
Your message was received and is very appreciated!
BaltarFamily