Sunday, January 29, 2012

In search of Thereza



Until the beginning of this year I didn’t know much about my maternal great grandmother Thereza Lopes, not even a photograph. She was just a name. I contacted some family members and little by little I started getting more information on her three deceased daughters. I was sure that making that decision would give me new clues. Having the information on their marriage certificates, birth certificates and death certificates I was sure I would be able to finally make a much more solid portrait about Thereza’s life.


This week I finally found the certificate of Theresa Lopes's Civil Registration marriage to my  great grandfather Francisco Machado Drumond, who was born in São Sebastiao, Terceira Island – Angra do Heroismo - in the Azores.


Having this in hand I was able to verify they were living in Morro da Conceição, downtown Rio de Janeiro, a place where some of the Portuguese immigrants settled in the XIX century. Until today the neighbor preserves some atmosphere of the traditional Portuguese streets and the narrow streets.

The site below shows some photos from Morro da Conceição, downtown Rio de Janeiro, by Rafael Soares.

Going back to our research, the link below is from the Arquivo Nacional but different from the others that I mentioned before. You will find birth records, marriage and death records, civil and commercial cases belonging to the Civil Courts, Commercial Courts, Pretorias of Rio de Janeiro and Superior Courts, as well as processes of ancient collections formed over the years in the National Archives, as slaves, Lands Inventories and Holders.


I have a long way to go before I find everything I need from my ancestors, but I know I’m on the right way to get there. When we do genealogy we need to count on every detail and help we can find, from family and genealogists in your circle of friends. Also participating in groups, associations and societies will help a lot; they can provide support giving you knowledge and tips in finding new sources and amazing discoveries in your family. 


3 comments:

  1. I found the spelling of Thereza in your blog interesting. As I have always found it spelled that way in my Germanic family history - with the h and z.
    Growing up in So Calif. all the hispanic Teresa's do not have the h.
    I wonder if your g-grandmother's family was from a Germanic region of Europe before going to Brazil?
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Theresa,
      Thanks for visiting my blog! I grew up in Brazil and there we have the spelling of Thereza in both ways, with h and z and just Teresa.
      I believe Thereza's family is from Portugal, like my g grandfather, her husband. I don't have yet enough information, still researching. I will let you know if I find anything.
      Best wishes,
      Isabella

      Delete
  2. Hi Isabella!

    I was excited to see a Portuguese genealogy on the new blogs list on Geneabloggers. I have three different lines that come from Portugal: a great-grandmother Christina Rafael who was actually born in the Kingdom of Hawaii but both her parents (Alfredo Rafael and Julia Tavares) were born in Portugal; a 2nd great-grandfather Antone Silva born in the Azores; and a great-grandfather John Gonsalves who was also born in the Kingdom of Hawaii and whose parents (Antone Gonsalves and Eliza Fernandes) were both born in Portugal.

    I look forward to following your research and to learning how to trace my own ancestors in Portugal.

    Niecey ~ The Chosen Storyteller
    www.chosen-storyteller.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for visiting my My Portuguese Gen website. I wish you an exciting experience finding out more about your Portuguese ancestors in United States, Azores, Madeira, Portugal, Brazil through the resources I provide. They are so many and I try always to keep them updated.

If you want to share your thoughts about your experience here, or want to learn more about how to expand your Portuguese ancestry, you can leave me a message.

If you left a message and it does not show yet, be sure, it was received and soon will appear on the comments.

Again, thank you.

Isabella Baltar