Saturday, January 14, 2012

Azores Genealogy and my family


As I mentioned on my first blog, I have some of my ancestors from Azores. Doing my research on the Brazilian Archives I found my great grandfather, Francisco Machado Drumond, my mother's grandfather, arriving in Brazil, with 26 years old, with 3 pieces of baggage, from São Sebastião, Terceira Island, Azores, on the SS Baltimore Ship Passenger List, commanded by Capt. G. Shumann.

Being able to have access to the ship manifest I was able to get other information not only about him but on his voyage.  I also noticed that the first port that the ship left was Bremen, in Germany.  The subsequent ports where the vapor stopped and passengers embarked were, as stated on the list: Antwerp, Lisbon, Ponta Delgada, Bahia [Salvador is the port for the Bahia state]. They arrived to their final destination, Rio de Janeiro, on the 28 of October of 1887.

Below I have part of the Passenger list where my great grandfather appears arriving from Azores, I highlighted his name on the right side of the page.



If you want to try to find one of your ancestors you can search them at the Arquivo Nacional. The Arquivo Nacional is like the National Archives in US. They keep the memory of the Brazilian nation. Here is a link to SIAN, the Arquivo Nacional database, where you will find a partial list of Ships that arrived in Rio de Janeiro Port, starting on 11 Jun 1875:
http://www.an.gov.br/sian/principal_pesquisa.asp?busca=multinivel/multinivel_consulta4.asp?v_codReferenciaPai_ID=567717

It’s a little tricky to see the original Ship’s manifest and all the names of those who travelled but is worth. You can download them at no cost and they are in a pdf format. I know the website is in Portuguese but you can ask your browse to translate and it will make the navigation much easier. I tried it on my computer and it worked pretty good.

If you have any question, just send me an email. I will be happy to help as I also speak Portuguese, and I will add other sources for researching in the future. If you need I do transcribing of old documents from Portuguese to English, just let me know your needs.


10 comments:

  1. Hi Isabella-
    My father's grandfather also came from Terceira,but settled in New England at the turn of the twentieth century. My great grandfather's name was Francisco Machado Pimentel. Do you know if Machado was a common family name?
    Thanks,
    Charlene

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Charlene, nice to hear from someone with a family from Terceira. I really don't know if Machado was a common family name. Do you know from where from Terceira he was from? My family is from São Sebastião, Praia da Vitória and Praia do Cabo. I believe that if you Machado is from São Sebastião they may be related. Just let me know, I already developed a lot on this branch of my family.
      Looking forward to hear from you,
      Isabella

      Delete
  2. Hi, loving your blog as I'm just beginning my research. Already stuck, any knowledge of Jose Botelho of San Sebastiano, Ponta Delgada. Would have been born around 1867. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jennifer,
      Thank you so much for visiting my blog, I really appreciate when I receive comments like yours. Did you research the Ponta Delgada Archives?
      Isabella

      Delete
  3. Just started looking for my family from the Azores. My grandfathers' name is Domingo when he came to the U.S. he settled in Provincetown, MA .he continued to be a fisherman. He & his wife Isabelle (Foster) had 2 children Marjorie & Albert I am Alberts' youngest daughter Linda.I know from stories my grandfather had at least 12+ siblings. I know I have family there that I would love to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting my blog. Very nice to hear from you and your interest in researching your family. If you need any additional information just send me an email and I will be glad to try to help you. Wish you all the best!

      Delete
  4. Hi, my name is Nelson M Alicea/d'Avila I have some Machado(s) in my line in the 1800 from Sao Sebastiao and Santa Cruz, Terceira. You can reach me at bassangler007@juno.com...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Nelson,
      Thanks for visiting my blog. I sent you more than one email but did not receive an answer. You can contact me through my email, my family is from São Sebastião and Santa Cruz as well.
      my portuguese gen at gmail dot com

      Delete
  5. Hi Isabella,

    Sorry if I missed your email, but I looked at my mail again and did not find it. The address is bassangler007@juno.com. the '00' are zeros not letters. I am trying to get my gmail account set up but not cooperating with me....lol.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just sent an email, let me know if you received it. Otherwise you can reach me at:
      myportuguesegen at gmail dot com

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my My Portuguese Gen website. I wish you an exciting experience finding out more about your Portuguese ancestors in United States, Azores, Madeira, Portugal, Brazil through the resources I provide. They are so many and I try always to keep them updated.

If you want to share your thoughts about your experience here, or want to learn more about how to expand your Portuguese ancestry, you can leave me a message.

If you left a message and it does not show yet, be sure, it was received and soon will appear on the comments.

Again, thank you.

Isabella Baltar