Sunday, December 11, 2011

A place of new discoveries...

and new friends!

So many new finding I have done this year in my family tree that I decided that this was the moment to start thinking seriously about sharing my experiences on the web. Finding my ancestors abroad, specifically on Brazil and Portugal – Azores was very rewarding. At some point I will share their stories and path, some of them not that easy, as for many other immigrants.

Researching has its ups and downs, so like us! We just need to be gentle with our ancestors and patient in our search and, above all, reinforce our connection with them. Many times I felt like they helped me in my research, guiding me in finding a new clue. And you know what? They were always there and in more than one time I found what I was looking for when I deeply talked to one of them when studying and investigating their own history.

There were moments when I was very confused by surnames that my family had provided and that made my research become slower until later I found a birth certificate on my research on the familysearch.org that showed me the correct last name and since them everything run smooth on that branch of the family with new discoveries that amazed me.

You are probably curious about the surnames I research and that are part of my ancestry. On my mother’s side I had the Portuguese immigration to Brazil in the late XIX century and beginning of XX century. My great-grandfather, Francisco Machado Drumond immigrated from São Sebastião, Terceira Island - Azores. He arrived in Rio de Janeiro in 1887 and his family belongs to the Ferreira Drumond, Valadão and Machado Drumond. The Ferreira de Almeida is my other Portuguese side from Castro Daire, Viseu. I will talk all about them and their family later. On my father’s side I’m still researching how they arrived in Recife, Pernambuco, the northeast of Brazil, but it’s all converging to Portugal, with the immigration much probably occurring by the end of the XVII century. Later they settled in Paraíba, the state just above Pernambuco. My 2nd great grandfather, Antonio Ferreira Balthar, is the farthest that I achieved on this specific last name. I need further investigation on this and other surnames of my father's family: Balthar/Baltar, Rego Barros, Teixeira de Vasconcelos. I have other last names that I did not mention yet but will do it as soon as I post new blogs about my family, not that they are less important, but is too much too accomplish at once and they will come with time.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for visiting my My Portuguese Gen Blog, hope you have enjoyed reading my family stories and the information I provided.
Your message was received and is very appreciated!
BaltarFamily