Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Immigration in Brazil I

Also check  Immigration in Brazil II.

I have been researching on my family genealogy for just a few years but not in a daily basis as I work with Book Conservation during the week, so only the weekends are left for doing that and it’s not so much when you have so many other things to accomplish in just two days.

The FamilySearch website (www.familysearch.org) is the first place I go for searching original records and they have a large database for Brazil. The newest one, updated September 2011, is the Immigration Cards 1900 – 1965:

I found many documents from my family at FamilySearch web site. They are an inestimable source of evidence! 

Regarding immigration in Brazil ports, the best place for you to visit is the Arquivo Nacional – www.arquivonacional.gov.br - where you can obtain all the information about the ships and a database of immigrant arrivals. The search for names of those that arrived in Rio de Janeiro Port between 1880 -1930 is manual.  Although the ship manifests are on line, there are no indexes up to this moment. You will need to create a username and login to access their database - http://www.an.gov.br/rvbndes/menu/menu.php

You will also find a great resource on newspaper from Brazil at Biblioteca Nacional, they are fully searchable by keywords. Newspaper Online.

2 comments:

  1. Do you know where I can find records of arrivals before 1850? My great great grandfather, Antonio de Lima was born in the Azores and appeared in San Luis Obispo, California in the 1852 census. I'm trying to track his progress and thought he might have immigrated first to Brazil. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ray,
      Did you searched the passports from Azores website? If he came from Azores, you will probably find him there with dates. Usually passport were requested shortly before the trip.
      If you have any other question, send me an email to myportuguesegen at gmail dot com

      Delete

Thanks for visiting my My Portuguese Gen website. I wish you an exciting experience finding out more about your Portuguese ancestors in United States, Azores, Madeira, Portugal, Brazil through the resources I provide. They are so many and I try always to keep them updated.

If you want to share your thoughts about your experience here, or want to learn more about how to expand your Portuguese ancestry, you can leave me a message.

If you left a message and it does not show yet, be sure, it was received and soon will appear on the comments.

Again, thank you.

Isabella Baltar